Site Search E-News Signup

Historical Landmarks

Pine Bluff offers a bounty of historical landmarks, each playing an important part in the history of Pine Bluff. You may want to include some of the following historical landmarks in your next driving tour:

Boone-Murphy-Moore House (c. 1860)

714 W. 4th Avenue

Built sometime before 1861 and first located at 702 W. 2nd Avenue, this home was Union Col. Powell Clayton’s headquarters following the Battle of Pine Bluff in 1863.

Dexter Harding House (c. 1850)
Dexter Harding House (c. 1850)

Dexter Harding House (c. 1850)

110 N. Pine Street

Built in 1850, the restored home is now the city’s and region’s official tourist information center. Open Monday through Friday.

DuBocage Home (c. 1860)

1115 W. 4th Avenue

Former home of Judge Joseph W. and Frances Lindsay Bocage and listed on the National Register for Historic Places, this home was restored in 1970.

Hudson-Grace-Pearson Home (c. 1830)

716 W. Barraque Street

Located in the historic district of town, this Victorian-style home was the residence of the famous archer, bow hunter and manufacturer, Ben Pearson. Built around 1830 by M.E. Hudson, this private home was the one-time home of W.P. Grace, a delegate to the 1861 Secession Convention and chairman of the committee that drew up the ordinance removing Arkansas from the Union. This home was originally a one-story structure and was altered over the years into a two-story house reflecting the details of the French Victorian style.

Jefferson County Courthouse

101 W. Barraque Street

Partially burned in 1976, the Jefferson County Courthouse was rebuilt around the center portion of the 1856 building and reopened in 1980.

Margland Bed & Breakfast

703 W. 2nd
Fax: 870.536.7941

Winner of the 1985 Historical Preservation Award for Arkansas, Margland consists of four historic Southern homes circa 1879-1907 which have been turned into a delightful bed & breakfast.

Martha Mitchell Home
Martha Mitchell Home

Martha Mitchell Home

902 W. 4th Avenue

This house was the birthplace (and later residence) of the outspoken Martha Beall Mitchell, wife of former U.S. Attorney General John Mitchell of the Nixon Administration.

Old Town Theatre Centre

207 W. 2nd Street

The Old Town Theatre Centre is dedicated to the restoration and preservation of the Saenger Theatre and the maintenance of The Community Theatre in downtown Pine Bluff. The Community Theatre, originally built in 1889 as a mercantile store, is the oldest one-screen theatre still operating in Arkansas. In 1922 the building was converted to a silent movie theatre called The Berbig and the name changed to The Community Theatre later that same year. Across the street is the 1,500-seat, seven story Saenger Theatre, which was constructed in 1922 at the corner of West Second at Pine Street, and was one of over 350 theaters in the Saenger theatre chain. Both theatres have been used as the main venue for the annual Pine Bluff Film Festival, which is held the first weekend in October.

Pine Bluff Confederate Monument

Located on the north side of the Jefferson County Courthouse in Pine Bluff.

Roth-Rosenzwieg-Lambert House (c. 1894)

717 W. 2nd

Built around 1894 in the Queen Anne style architecture. At one time America’s first cowboy, Broncho Billy Anderson, lived in the house with his sister, Mrs. Roth.

Trinity Episcopal Church (c. 1866)

703 W. 3rd

This magnificent structure, Arkansas’ oldest Episcopal church, is listed on the National Register for Historic Places. Among the most prominent features of the church are the Gothic architecture, ornately carved Carrara marble altar and stained glass windows.

Trulock-Gould-Mullis House (c. 1875)

704 W. Barraque Street

Built around 1875 by Marshall Trulock in Romanesque Revival style, this house is distinguished by its unusual rounded entrance and three windows with their rounded tops on the second floor.